Nikon Z 70-180mm f/2.8 is a relatively portable and affordable large aperture telephoto zoom for full-frame mirrorless cameras
Nikon has announced a pair of telephoto zooms for its full-frame Z-mount cameras, in the shape of the Nikon Nikkor Z 70-180mm f/2.8 and the Nikon Nikkor Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR. The Nikon Z 70-180mm f/2.8 is a smaller and less expensive alternative to the premium Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S, and as such, should be one of the best Nikon Z-mount lenses for subjects such as portraits and events. Meanwhile, the latter is a long-range yet still reasonably portable zoom for sports, aviation, and wildlife photography.
The Nikon Z 70-180mm f/2.8 completes the firm’s trilogy of lightweight and affordable f/2.8 zooms, joining the Z 28-75mm f/2.8 and Z 17-28mm f/2.8. Like those lenses, it’s clearly based on Tamron optics (from the Sony E-mount 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD), but reworked with Nikon’s own autofocus system and external barrel design. It also shares the same 67mm filter thread.
Optically, the lens employs 19 elements in 14 groups, including 5 extra-low dispersion (ED) glass elements, 1 super-ED element, and 3 aspherical elements to suppress aberrations. The minimum focus distance ranges from 27cm to 85cm, giving a maximum magnification of 0.48x. An aperture diaphragm formed from 9 rounded blades promises attractive out-of-focus blur.
Unlike many f/2.8 telezooms, the 70-180mm extends on zooming. This makes for an unusually compact package, at 83.5mm in diameter and 151mm in length. The lens tips the scales at just 795g, which is little over half the weight of its 70-200mm f/2.8 sibling. It boasts weather-sealed construction and, as an added bonus, is compatible with Nikon’s Z 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters.
The Nikon Z 70-180mm f/2.8 is due in the shops on 13th July for £1299.
Nikon Z 70-180mm f/2.8 full specifications:
- Price: £1299
- Filter Diameter: 67mm
- Lens Elements: 19
- Groups: 14
- Diaphragm blades: 9
- Aperture: f/2.8 – f/22
- Minimum focus: 27-85cm
- Length: 151mm
- Diameter: 83.5mm
- Weight: 795g
- Lens Mount: Nikon Z
- Included accessories: Caps, hood, case
NIKON RELEASES TWO AGILE TELEPHOTO ZOOM LENSES: THE NIKKOR Z 70-180MM F/2.8 AND THE NIKKOR Z 180-600MM F/5.6-6.3 VR
London, United Kingdom, 21st June 2023: Today, Nikon expands its range of NIKKOR Z telephoto zoom lenses with the NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 and the NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR. Both these lenses are surprisingly lightweight—putting agility and versatility in the hands of enthusiasts who shoot a wide range of subjects.
The NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 is an all-purpose telephoto zoom lens that delivers standout shots near and far. With its fast, constant f/2.8 aperture, it’s great for shooting portraits, lifestyle, sports, nature, landscapes, cityscapes, events, and more—even in low light.
closer ranges and users can achieve macro-style images by attaching the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x, which doubles the reproduction ratio of the lens to an almost life-size 0.96x magnification. Short minimum focusing distances allow sharp shots from
The NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR super-telephoto zoom reaches even further, easily covering the most popular focal lengths for wildlife, birds, and aircraft photography, while leaving plenty of flexibility for sports and landscapes too. Powerful in-lens Vibration Reduction keeps shots stable, while the internal zoom contributes to balanced handheld shooting: zoom in or out, then pan or tilt, all without a tripod. Attach the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x to this lens and it’s possible to achieve a monster reach of 1200 mm while still shooting handheld!
With their lightweight builds and reliable weather sealing, both lenses are as travel friendly as they come for telephoto zooms. The NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 weighs just 795 g (approx.), and at only 151 mm long it’s compact too. The NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 super-telephoto lens weighs 1955 g (approx.).
Zurab Kiknadze, Product Manager, Nikon Europe, says: “We’re delighted to bring two new telephoto zoom lenses into the NIKKOR Z line-up. Both are testament to the way the line-up is growing to cover a greater range of needs and budgets. If you want to expand your creative potential without stretching to cover the cost of a pro lens, these long lenses will bring you closer to your subject—and closer to the perfect shot.”
Summary of key features: NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8
- All-purpose telephoto zoom lens: 70-180 mm zoom range. Perfect for a wide variety of subjects.
- Compact and lightweight: weighs just 795 g (approx.), and only 151 mm long.
- Fast f/2.8 fixed aperture: for consistent exposure across the zoom range. Capture clean, sharp shots in low light at lower ISOs, use faster shutter speeds to freeze movement, and accentuate portraits with soft bokeh.
- Sharp close-ups: minimum focus is just 0.27 m at the short (70 mm) end of the zoom range, and 0.85 m at 180 mm.
- Z teleconverters: the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x offers a maximum reach of 360 mm and doubles the reproduction ratio of the lens to almost life-size magnification.
- Cinematic video shots: quiet focusing and suppressed focus breathing. Comfortably film at a distance or get creative with close-ups and unconventional framing.
- Protected: reliable sealing helps prevent dust and water droplets from entering the lens.
- Affordable trinity lens: can form part of a lightweight f/2.8 lens kit with the NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 telephoto zoom lens, plus the NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 and the NIKKOR Z 28-75mm f/2.8.