New Nikon Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR is a reasonably compact and affordable long telephoto zoom for Nikon full-frame mirrorless cameras
Nikon has announced a pair of telephoto zooms for its full-frame Z-mount cameras. Launched alongside the Nikon Nikkor Z 70-180mm f/2.8, the Nikon Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR long-range zoom looks like it could well turn out to be one of the best Nikon Z-mount lenses for sports, aviation, and wildlife photography.
Designed to extended telephoto reach in a reasonably compact and affordable package, it employs an internal zoom mechanism that requires a relatively short 70° turn of the zoom ring, which should allow easier operation compared to extending zoom designs. Built-in optical vibration reduction is rated for 5.5 stops of shake suppression and includes Nikon’s Sport mode for panning. The lens also boasts weather sealed construction, with a fluorine coating on the front element to repel grease and water.
The optical formula is every bit as complex as we’d expect for such a long lens, with 6 ED elements and an aspherical element included in the 25-element, 17-group design. A stepper motor is employed for fast, quiet autofocus, with the minimum focus distance ranging from 1.3m to 2.4m. For even greater reach, the lens accepts 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters.
Nikon has included the usual controls associated with telephoto zooms. Alongside focus, zoom and control rings, there’s a focus limiter switch, an auto/manual focus switch, and four L-Fn buttons. A removable tripod foot is also supplied. The lens measures 315.5mm in length, 110mm in diameter and 1955g in weight, and accepts 95mm filters.
The Nikon Nikkor Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR is due to go on sale in August for £1799.
Nikkor Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR full specifications:
- Price: £1799
- Filter Diameter: 95mm
- Lens Elements: 25
- Groups: 17
- Diaphragm blades: 9
- Aperture: f/5.6-6.3 – f/32-36
- Minimum focus: 1.3-2.4m
- Length: 315.5mm
- Diameter: 110mm
- Weight: 1955g (2140g with tripod food attached)
- Lens Mount: Nikon Z
- Included accessories: Caps, hood, case
NIKON RELEASES TWO AGILE TELEPHOTO ZOOM LENSES: THE NIKKOR Z 70-180MM F/2.8 AND THE NIKKOR Z 180-600MM F/5.6-6.3 VR
London, United Kingdom, 21st June 2023: Today, Nikon expands its range of NIKKOR Z telephoto zoom lenses with the NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 and the NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR. Both these lenses are surprisingly lightweight—putting agility and versatility in the hands of enthusiasts who shoot a wide range of subjects.
The NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 is an all-purpose telephoto zoom lens that delivers standout shots near and far. With its fast, constant f/2.8 aperture, it’s great for shooting portraits, lifestyle, sports, nature, landscapes, cityscapes, events, and more—even in low light.
closer ranges and users can achieve macro-style images by attaching the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x, which doubles the reproduction ratio of the lens to an almost life-size 0.96x magnification. Short minimum focusing distances allow sharp shots from
The NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR super-telephoto zoom reaches even further, easily covering the most popular focal lengths for wildlife, birds, and aircraft photography, while leaving plenty of flexibility for sports and landscapes too. Powerful in-lens Vibration Reduction keeps shots stable, while the internal zoom contributes to balanced handheld shooting: zoom in or out, then pan or tilt, all without a tripod. Attach the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x to this lens and it’s possible to achieve a monster reach of 1200 mm while still shooting handheld!
With their lightweight builds and reliable weather sealing, both lenses are as travel friendly as they come for telephoto zooms. The NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 weighs just 795 g (approx.), and at only 151 mm long it’s compact too. The NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 super-telephoto lens weighs 1955 g (approx.).
Zurab Kiknadze, Product Manager, Nikon Europe, says: “We’re delighted to bring two new telephoto zoom lenses into the NIKKOR Z line-up. Both are testament to the way the line-up is growing to cover a greater range of needs and budgets. If you want to expand your creative potential without stretching to cover the cost of a pro lens, these long lenses will bring you closer to your subject—and closer to the perfect shot.”
Summary of key features: NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR
- Versatile super-telephoto zoom lens: broad 180-600 mm focal-length range for shooting wildlife, birds, aircraft, sports, and more.
- Excellent agility: weighs just 1955 g (approx.). A light turn of the zoom ring is all it takes to move from the 180 mm end of the range to 600 mm, and the internal zoom keeps the centre of gravity balanced.
- Sharp close focusing: minimum focus distance of 2.4 m at 600 mm and 1.3 m at 180 mm.
- Spot-on autofocus: optimised for shooting fast-moving subjects, and super quiet.
- 5.5-stop Vibration Reduction: in-lens optical VR compensates for vibrations from handheld shooting. SPORT Mode stabilises the viewfinder image.
- Long-distance video: quiet focusing and suppressed focus breathing. Easily shoot video footage with beautifully compressed backgrounds.
- Protected: reliable sealing helps protect from dust and water droplets, and the barrel doesn’t move when zooming so there are fewer places for dust to accumulate. Nikon’s fluorine coat is applied to the front element.
- Z teleconverters: reach as far as 1200 mm with the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x, or 840 mm with the Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x.