These improvements include a night mode, on-screen shutter, the ability to shoot using vertical / portrait orientation in Photo Pro and Video Pro, as well as other improvements to the user experience when shooting with the smartphone.
However, perhaps most important of all is the introduction of an entirely new image sensor technology, designed to further improve low-light and noise performance, with increased sensitivity to light. The new sensor is called the Exmor T (for mobile), and is a stacked CMOS image sensor with 2-layer transistor pixels. This means the photodiode can now be larger, as the transistor is moved to a lower layer.
Other improvements include a product showcase setting, as found on the Sony ZV-1 camera, as well as a voice priority mic, for improved video recording.
Sony Xperia 1 V at a glance:
- 16mm equivalent f/2.2 12MP 1/2.5inch ultra-wide, AF
- 24mm equivalent f/1.9, 52/48MP, 1/1.35inch standard, OIS AF (12MP pixel binned)
- 85-125mm equivalent telephoto zoom, 12MP, 1/3.5inch, OIS, AF
- 12MP front camera
- 6.5inch 21:9 4K 120Hz HDR OLED screen
- 5000mAh battery, 30W charger, 3 years long-life, wireless charging (15W)
- IP65/68, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 (front/back)
- Stereo speakers, 3.5mm audio jack
- 12GB/256GB RAM/Storage, supports MicroSD (upto 1TB)
- Available in black, platinum silver and khaki green
The Sony Xperia 1 V will be available from the end of June onwards.
Sony has also announced the Sony Xperia 10 V, a budget smartphone, with a price of £399, putting it in direct competition with the recently announced Google Pixel 7a. The Xperia 10 V has a triple camera setup, making it one of the cheapest smartphones available with a triple camera setup on the rear that’s not made up of low resolution cameras. The cameras on the 10 V are all 8MP or more.
Sony Xperia 10 V at a glance:
- 16mm ultra-wide, 8MP
- 26mm wide-angle, 48/12MP, 1/2inch sensor OIS
- 54mm telephoto, 8MP
- 8MP selfie camera
- 6.1inch screen, brighter display
- 159g – lightest smartphone with 5000mAh battery
- IP65/68, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus (front)
- 5000mAh battery, 34hr battery life (video playback)
- Stereo speakers, 3.5mm jack
- Dimensions: 155x68x8.3mm
- Colours: Lavender, Sage Green, White and Black
- 6/128GB ram/storage, supports MicroSD (upto 1TB)
The Sony Xperia 10 V will be available from the middle of June onwards.
- The best flagship camera phones for photography
- Best budget camera phones
- Best cameras for video and vlogging