Nikon has announced the new Nikkor Z DX 24mm f/1.7 lens for APS-C cameras, the Z-mount lens gives a 36mm equivalent on Nikon’s APS-C mirrorless cameras, such as the Nikon Z50, Z30 and Zfc. The lens is compact and lightweight at just 135g, and has a minimum focus distance of 18cm (12.4cm from the front of the lens), allowing for close-up photography, and the bright f/1.7 aperture means it gives a much brighter image than the standard zoom lenses.
The Nikkor Z DX 24mm f/1.7 lens is the first DX prime lens for Z-mount cameras, and should give good video performance, as it is designed to have quiet focus, as well as minimal focus breathing. The lens is dust and drip-resistant which should help in less-than-ideal weather conditions.
The lens will be available from the 15th June, priced at £289 (UK), € 329 (ROI).
From Nikon: London, United Kingdom, 31st May 2023: Today, Nikon expands its range of NIKKOR Z DX lenses by introducing the first DX-format prime lens. The NIKKOR Z DX 24mm f/1.7 lens is fast, sharp, brilliant up close, and a great performer in low light. Compact and versatile, it’s the perfect prime lens for vibrant everyday photography.
Weighing just 135 g (approx.), the NIKKOR Z DX 24mm f/1.7 pairs with Nikon Z DX cameras to create a super-compact kit that’s comfortable to carry and beautifully flexible. Wide but not too wide, the lens’ 24mm fixed focal length gives an angle of view equivalent to 36mm on a full-frame (FX) camera: Nikon Z DX shooters will get incredibly close to a classic 35mm perspective, which offers superb framing flexibility and is great for landscapes, street photography, portraits, and more—as well as video.
With its f/1.7 maximum aperture, short 0.18m minimum focus distance, and large, natural-looking bokeh, this lens’ creative credentials are impressive. Users can easily capture crisp shots of low-light situations or use faster shutter speeds to freeze motion, and they can create a real sense of depth by making subjects stand out against beautifully blurred backgrounds. For close-ups, users can capture sharp shots when the front of the lens is just 12.4cm away from a subject: combined with the shallow depth of field possible at f/1.7, photos of subject details and close-up video footage will mesmerise.
Zurab Kiknadze, Product Manager, Nikon Europe, says: “We’re extremely happy to see the first DX prime lens join the Nikon Z family. The NIKKOR Z DX 24mm f/1.7 hits the sweet spot between image quality and versatility: it’s the perfect prime for creative everyday photography and a great upgrade from a standard kit zoom lens.”
Summary of key features: NIKKOR Z DX 24mm f/1.7
- 24mm DX mirrorless prime lens: great for landscapes, street photography, portraits, and more. Gives an angle of view equivalent to 36mm on a full-frame (FX) camera. Move closer and fill the frame with a subject, or stay where you are to bring in elements of the background and create images with more context.
- Fast f/1.7 maximum aperture: combines with the large Z mount to let in more light: keep ISO low and capture crisp low-light shots, or use faster shutter speeds without sacrificing brightness.
- Large, natural-looking bokeh: shoot wide open at f/1.7 to make subjects and portraits pop, or give photos and videos a real sense of depth.
- Fast, silent autofocus: powered by a quiet stepping motor.
- Sharp up close: a minimum focus distance of just 0.18m enables sharp shots when the front of the lens is just 12.4cm away from a subject.
- Great for video: with a perspective that’s close to the classic 35mm view favoured by filmmakers, this is a great little prime lens for video too. It’s beautifully quiet, and focus breathing is supressed.
- Lightweight, compact, and protected: weighs just 135g (approx.) with a compact dust- and drip-resistant build.1
- Included lens hood that accepts filters: the Nikon HN-42 lens hood helps prevent ghosting and flare when shooting. It’s also possible to attach 46mm filters to the hood.
1 The lens is not guaranteed to be dust- and drip-resistant in all situations and under all conditions.