More bad news for DSLR shooters, in addition to there being very few new DSLRs introduced over the last few years, and in addition to a number of Nikon DSLRs being discontinued, lens companies continue to discontinue DSLR lenses.
Our Technical Editor, Andy Westlake, has been keeping track of the availability of lenses to buy from major UK retailers, and over the last three years has noted that 22 Tamron DSLR lenses have been discontinued.
As Nikon, Canon, and other manufacturers put all their effort into mirrorless cameras, it makes sense that the demand for new DSLR lenses is decreasing, and this of course, has an impact on third-party manufacturers such as Tamron, Sigma, and others.
Tamron lenses discontinued:
- Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD
- Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
- Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4 Di OSD
- Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 Di VC OSD
- Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 SP AF XR Di II VC LD Asph IF
- Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 SP AF XR Di LD Asph IF Macro
- Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD
- Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SP VC USD
- Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro
- Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP Di VC USD
- Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP AF Di Macro
- Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD
- Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 SP VC USD
- Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP AF Di II LD Asph IF
- Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD
- Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 AF Di II VC LD PZD IF Macro
- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD
- Tamron 45mm f/1.8 SP Di VC USD
- Tamron 60mm f/2 SP AF Di II LD IF Macro
- Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP AF Di LD IF Macro
- Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
- Tamron 180mm f/3.5 SP AF Di LD IF Macro
With all of these DSLR lenses being discontinued, and the growing focus on mirrorless cameras, it could make DSLR photography more affordable (due to increased levels of second-hand kit), and if you’re looking for something of a bargain, then second hand DSLR kit could be the place to look. Although be aware that it’s no longer as safe a long term bet as it once was, and it’s becoming more important than ever that you look after your kit.
Looking to Improve your photography? Have a look at our Improve Your Photography series, so you can get the most out of your kit.