Nikon has announced the new Nikon Nikkor Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S telephoto prime lens, the lens weighs 1470g (1.47kg) with tripod collar making it “the lightest 600mm prime lens in its class” according to Nikon, although it’s worth pointing out that this is the only 600mm f/6.3 lens in existence. The lens could be a real contender for one of the best Nikon Z-mount lenses, if the performance claims come true.
Designed for handheld shooting, the lens features Nikon’s Vibration Reduction technology, aka optical image stabilisation, which is said to give up to 6.0 stops of image stabilisation (with Synchro IBIS). There’s weather-sealing, meaning it can be used in inclement weather, and can be used with a teleconverter, with Nikon claiming “no loss of resolution” even up to 1200mm (2x).
Sales start on the 26th October, and the lens is priced at $4800 / £4999 / €5999 (ROI).
Nikon Nikkor Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S Key Features
- The lightest 600mm prime lens in its class: at approx. 1470 g (with tripod collar)
- SR and ED glass control aberrations and colour fringing
- Nano Crystal Coating counters ghosting and flare for superb clarity
- Low AF noise levels – said to be near silence.
- Up to 6-stop VR image stabilisation: in-lens optical VR provides stabilisation equivalent to shooting at 5.5 stops slower, or 6.0 stops with a Z camera that supports Synchro VR.1
- High-performance weather sealing
From Nikon: London, United Kingdom, 11th October 2023: Today, Nikon expands its range of lightweight super-telephoto S-Line lenses with the NIKKOR Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S full-frame prime lens. Made to shoot handheld, this sharp 600mm lens delivers thrilling image quality. From wildlife to birds, motor sports, airplanes, and more, photographers can capture the speed, power, and grace of distant subjects in stunning detail.
Weighing approximately 1470 g (with tripod collar), the NIKKOR Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S is the lightest 600mm prime lens in its class. With its centre of gravity closer to the camera body, it’s an exceptionally well-balanced lens that allows for super-comfortable handheld shooting: photographers can move with a fluidity that belies the long 600mm focal length even when panning or framing a tight overhead shot.
Whether shooting stills or video, Nikon’s high-performance optics deliver striking images with all the sharpness and pleasing bokeh that only an S-line prime lens can deliver. Even if shooting through the dust or straight into the sunset, images are superbly crisp and clear at any aperture. In low-light situations such as at dusk, dawn, or in a dense forest, photographers can work with up to 6.0-stops of Vibration Reduction image stabilisation to nail steady blur-free shots.1 And those shooting wildlife and birds will appreciate the quiet, accurate autofocus, which tracks and focuses on subjects in near silence.
High-performance sealing ensures this lightweight 600mm lens is more than ready for harsh environments and uncertain weather.2 In addition, those who want even more reach can pair the NIKKOR Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S with a Z series teleconverter with no loss of resolution.
Dirk Jasper, Product Manager, Nikon Europe says: “Our new 600mm f/6.3 S-Line lens frees you to nail incredible shots while shooting handheld! Rich colours, crisp textures, and bokeh if you want it. Viewed alongside the 400mm f/4.5 and 800mm f/6.3 S-Line lenses, it’s exciting to see Nikon widening the options for photographers who want the flexibility that a lightweight, high-performance super telephoto can bring.”
Summary of key features: NIKKOR Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S
- The lightest 600 mm prime in its class: this super-telephoto prime lens weighs approx. 1470 g (with tripod collar) and has its centre of gravity closer to the camera body for optimal balance.
- High-performance S-line optics: SR and ED glass control aberrations and colour fringing. Nano Crystal Coat counters ghosting and flare for superb clarity.
- AF that stays on track: from aerial tricks to birds in flight, or a fleeting moment of eye contact. This super-telephoto lens will track and focus subjects in near silence.
- Up to 6-stop VR image stabilisation: in-lens optical Vibration Reduction (VR) provides stabilisation equivalent to shooting at 5.5 stops slower, or 6.0 stops with a Z camera that supports Synchro VR.1
- High-performance sealing: rubber gaskets keep dust, dirt, and moisture away from all moving parts, including the lens mount. Nikon’s fluorine coating makes the front element easy to clean.2
- Intuitive fingertip control: functions can be assigned to the L-Fn buttons, and the silent control ring. The memory-set button allows instant recall of focus positions.
- Sharp, even with a teleconverter: every advantage of this lens’ powerful AF and VR is available while using Z teleconverters. Reach can be increased by 2x (up to 1200mm) or 1.4x (up to 840mm).
1. Based on CIPA Standards: in NORMAL mode, 6.0 stops of compensation is achieved when the lens is used together with a Z camera that supports Synchro VR. 5.5 stops of compensation is achieved when the lens is attached to a mirrorless camera equipped with a 35mm-film-size image sensor.
2. This lens is not guaranteed to be dust- and drip-resistant in all situations and under all conditions.