A British photographer injured in an explosion that killed two fellow photojournalists has been evacuated from the besieged Libyan city of Misrata and has now arrived in Malta.

Guy Martin, from Cornwall, was wounded in the mortar attack in which British photographer Tim Hetherington and US photographer Chris Hondros died.

The 28-year-old (pictured) was evacuated by boat after being confined to intensive care since the incident on Wednesday.

The UK’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) has now confirmed Guy’s arrival in Malta (see statement below).

The photographer’s boat was met by staff from the FCO who say he has now been transferred to a Malta hospital.

Guy?s condition is understood to have improved since he underwent surgery for serious internal injuries.

The Times of Malta states that the photographer arrived on a cargo ship called ‘Marianne Danica’ and was brought ashore on a stretcher ‘waving his hands and giving a thumbs-up sign’.

We understand that a news blackout was effectively declared on the evacuation this morning, amid concern that the operation would risk an attack on the boat carrying the photographer.

There had been no news on the success of the mission or otherwise since AFP news agency reported the evacuation earlier today.

Last week the photographer?s family described him as a ?loving son, brother and partner?. In a statement the family added: ?Guy is a very dedicated and compassionate person who believed in his role as a photojournalist and has been working in Libya as a freelance for the past month.

?He was determined to continue documenting the awful humanitarian situation in the country.?

A spokesman for University College Falmouth, where Guy teaches a press and editorial photography course, said: ?His knowledge of editorial, documentary and photojournalism has been a huge input? and his enthusiasm to help students has given them great motivation to pursue their chosen careers.’

Guy had been due to resume his lecturing duties at the college early next month.

FCO statement:

‘We can confirm [that] the British documentary photographer, Guy Martin, has been safely evacuated from Misrata to Malta after being wounded last week in a mortar attack.

FCO staff and Maltese officials met Mr Martin?s boat on arrival and he has been transferred to a local hospital.

The FCO will continue to provide consular assistance to Mr Martin and his family.’

Picture: Courtesy University College Falmouth


Tim Hetherington was set to ‘call it a day’

Award-winning photographer killed in Libya